IJN Mikasa (1902)

Completed in December 2013.
Primarily wood.
1/300th scale.

Long, long time since I did anything nautical so I thought I'd try something new. Found some basswood blocks on clearance at Hobby Lobby the other day and decided to glue them together and carve a boat hull out of them. What boat? How about the Japanese pre-dreadnought Mikasa from 1900 in roughly 1/300 scale. Here she is in real life...

Carve, carve, sand, sand, down to sort of the right shape, a little wider than planned but that's ok, it's more of a "artistic representation" than an actual scale model. I have a hacksaw, a craft knife, and tons of sandpaper, all I need as basswood cuts like butter. Cut up some cereal boxes to get all the stuff that clutters up the hull sides of these old warships. Gun ports, gun doors, portholes, hatches, rubbing strakes, all that sort of thing. Toothpicks cut down for the torpedo net booms and gun barrels, hole puncher for the ports, everything glued down tight with simple Elmer's Glue-All. Anchor beds notched out with my exact knife.

I want to make the hull complete before moving onto the top decks, so I went ahead and painted the hull below the waterline a deep Barn Red and the above water sides a dark gray Pewter. Highlights dry-brushed on to pick out details and add some contrast to the drab colors. Sealed it all with some of that Plad acrylic sealer I've been using on my Sculpey projects.

The wooden deck is just craft sticks cut to size and glued down, and scored with a knife to double the planks. Wooden decks are what make these old 1900s warships.

On deck now, the amidships casemate is made with popsicle sticks and cereal box parts. The smaller guns are toothpicks. Deckhouses are wood sticks, funnels are rolled cardstock, boats are sculpey clay, blah blah blah. Losing interest fast, clearly not that enthused with my choice of wood for a building material (should have known better...).

More stuff on top, more paint, more wasted time that I could have been watching reruns of Supernatural on netflix. Got to finish this up fast.

And here she is, all done! Took a long week and about $20 in materials, end result is as good as expected.

The End. Return to the Prison Art Homepage.